Sudan’s state TV announced the country’s armed forces will deliver an “important statement” on Thursday and are asking the nation to “wait for it” after nearly four months of anti-government protests demanding the ouster of longtime President Omar al-Bashir.
The announcement raised expectations the statement could be a sign that al-Bashir is relinquishing power or is being removed by the military after 30 years of rule.
The military has not yet made its announcement, but two senior Sudanese officials told The Associated Press that the army has forced the longtime leader to step down but the circumstances of the apparent ouster remain unclear. The officials say the military is now in talks about forming a transitional government.
The officials, who hold high positions in the government and the military, spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
The whereabouts of the autocratic leader, who is a pariah in many countries in the world and is also wanted by the international war crimes tribunal for atrocities in Darfur, were not immediately known.
Military at key sites
Eyewitnesses in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, said the military had deployed at key sites in the city to secure several installations since the morning hours. Armored vehicles and tanks are parked in the streets and near bridges over the Nile River, they said, as well as in the vicinity of the military headquarters.
Organizers of the protests urged masses to converge and join an ongoing sit-in that has been underway in the capital, Khartoum, since the weekend.
They issued a statement vowing to remain in the streets until a “the regime steps down completely and power is handed to a civilian transitional government.”
Thousands of protesters, including women carrying their children, were seen marching toward the military headquarters, clapping and ululating. Many flashing “V” for victory. There were also unconfirmed reports that the airport in the Sudanese capital had been closed.
Ahead of the statement, Sudanese radio played military marches as the TV said there will be an “important statement from the armed forces after a while, wait for it.”
It came after clashes between Sudanese security forces and protesters holding a large anti-government sit-in outside the military’s headquarters Khartoum, after several attempts to break the sit-in, leaving 22 dead since Saturday.
The previous day, Sudanese security forces tried again to break up the sit-in, which began over the weekend, killing at least 14 people on Tuesday, activists behind the demonstration said. The government said 11 died. The fatalities so far have included five soldiers who protest organizers said were defending the sit-in.
The months of protests have plunged Sudan into its worst crisis in years. The demonstrations initially erupted last December with rallies against a spiraling economy, but quickly escalated into calls for an end to embattled al-Bashir.
The protests against al-Bashir gained momentum last week after Algeria’s President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, in power for 20 years, resigned in response to weeks of similar protests.
Saturday’s marches in Khartoum marked the 34th anniversary of the overthrow of former President al-Nimeiri in a bloodless coup. It was one of the largest turnouts in the current wave of unrest.
The military removed Nimeiri after a popular uprising in 1985. It quickly handed over power to an elected government. The dysfunctional administration lasted only a few years until al-Bashir — a career army officer — allied with Islamist hardliners and toppled it in a coup in 1989.
Al-Bashir has banned unauthorized public gatherings and granted sweeping powers to the police since imposing a state of emergency last month, and security forces have used tear gas, rubber bullets, live ammunition and batons against demonstrators.
Security forces have responded to the protest movement with a fierce crackdown, killing dozens of people.
This story originally appeared on CBC