Search halted in Nigerian school collapse

by - 2 min read

Search halted in Nigerian school collapse

by - 2 min read

by

Search efforts were called off at the site of a school building that collapsed in the Nigerian city of Lagos, as rescuers were trying to find a register of children to work out how many have died.

Workers have reached the foundation of the collapsed three-storey building and don’t expect to see any more bodies, IbrahimFarinloye, a National Emergency Management Agency official, told The Associated Press on Thursday.

He declined to give an updated toll of the dead and the rescued.

Officials said late Wednesday that eight people had died and 37 had been pulled out alive. An unknown number remain missing.

Residents said some 100 children had attended the nursery and primary school, and people were searching through the tangle of rubble and metal on Thursday to find any belongings of their loved ones.

A few hundred people watched from nearby as an excavator dug through the remains of the debris.

Rescue workers help carry a child at the site of the collapse Wednesday. (Afolabi Sotunde/Reuters)

By Thursday morning, the site had been cleared, and workers found a body at 3 a.m. local time, said Adesina Tiamiyu, general manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.  

“We cleared it out to see if anyone was still buried below this rubble.”

Tiamiyu said the number of children involved was still in question and authorities were trying to find a register of the pupils.

Lagos Gov. Akinwuni Ambode, who visited the site hours after the building collapsed, said the school had been set up illegally and buildings in the area had been undergoing structural testing prior to the accident.

People and rescue teams search through the debris of the collapsed building on Thursday. (Sunday Alamba/Associated Press)

This story originally appeared on CBC

Top