Search for Turkish man underway after 3 killed in Utrecht tram shooting

by - 3 min read

Search for Turkish man underway after 3 killed in Utrecht tram shooting

by - 3 min read

by

Dutch police have released the name and photo of a Turkish man sought in connection with Monday morning’s shooting on a tram in Utrecht that has left three people dead and five wounded.

“The police ask you to watch out for 37-year-old Gokman Tanis (born in Turkey) in connection with this morning’s incident,” a police statement said.

Police posted a photo on Twitter of the bearded man that shows him sitting on public transportation.

Investigators earlier said they’re considering a possible “terrorist motive” and are looking into reports of other shootings in Utrecht, the fourth largest city in the Netherlands.

The Dutch anti-terror co-ordinator raised the threat alert in Utrecht province to its highest level after someone opened fire on the tram around 10:45 a.m. local time.

Possible ‘terrorist motive’

An anti-terrorism unit was sent to the scene, and according to police, anti-terror co-ordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said investigators were considering the possibility there was a “terrorist motive.”

“The culprit is still on the run. A terror motive cannot be excluded,” he said in a Twitter message.

The shooting took place in a residential neighbourhood of Utrecht. Police say at least three people were killed and five wounded during the shooting on a tram. (EPA-EFE)

Dutch police said they were looking for a least one person who might have fled by car. Spokesperson Bernhard Jens did not rule out that more people might be involved.

Initially, police confirmed one person had been killed after they erected a tent over a body lying next to the tram. Utrecht Mayor Jan van Zanen later revised the death toll to three and said nine others were wounded, three of them seriously.

Police in Utrecht then reduced the number of people injured to five, but did not give a reason for the revised number.

‘Stronger than fanaticism and violence’

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte called the situation “very worrying,” while the anti-terrorco-ordinator said he was holding a “crisis” meeting.

“There is a mix of disbelief and disgust” throughout the Netherlands, Rutte said. “If it is a terror attack, then we have only one answer: our nation, democracy must be stronger than fanaticism and violence.”

Utrecht police cordoned off the 24 October Square tram station, located in a residential neighbourhood outside the city centre, while emergency services rushed to the scene.

Helicopters were dispatched to airlift victims to hospital and police were appealing to the public to stay away to allow first responders to do their work.

Dutch counterterrorism police prepare to enter a house after the tram shooting. (Peter Dejong/Associated Press)

Police instructed schools in the city to keep their doors closed.

German police said they have upped surveillance on the country’s border with the Netherlands and are on the lookout for the gunman responsible for the tram shooting. 

Heinrich Onstein, a spokesperson for the federal police in the border state of North Rhine-Westphalia, said additional police had been added to watch not only major highways, but also minor crossings as well as railway routes. 

(CBC News/BBC/Google Earth)

This story originally appeared on CBC

Top