Up to 25 millimetres of rain is expected in southern parts of New Brunswick today, which could cause waters that have receded in some communities along the St. John River to rise again in the coming days.
Even where flood levels stabilize, there is a risk of winds which could drive waters over roads and into homes.
New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization spokesperson Geoffrey Downey said Fredericton water levels were at 7.25 metres this morning.
Downey said EMO is watching closely to see how today’s rain affects the river.
“It started raining yesterday and they were expecting up to 45 millimetres in some parts of the province. The latest forecast, though, is calling for relatively stable [levels], where it actually had been dropping for the last 24 hours or so.”
Downey said levels have even dropped overnight in Saint John to below 5.5 metres.
Winds of up to 60 km/h were in the forecast for some parts of the province and could cause more damage, even if water levels are receding or stabilizing, Downey said.
“Last year we certainly ran into issues where people who didn’t have water in their homes did after waves picked up and started smashing windows and things like that.”
The most recent five-day forecast from River Watch says levels in Fredericton could drop to 7.1 metres by Monday, and to five metres in the Saint John area.
Crews and members of the Canadian Forces are still out assisting residents with sandbags and evacuations. Downey said about 400 soldiers are currently deployed across New Brunswick.
Watch this explainer on how a New Brunswick spring flood typically begins:
Over 1,000 registered with Red Cross
Bill Lawlor, provincial director of the Canadian Red Cross, said the number of evacuees registered has grown to 1052 individuals.
This is still lower than last year’s peak of registrations of 2,517 people, but Lawlor said the Red Cross is expecting to see another spike in registrations over the weekend because of the rain.
“We’re cautious with the numbers only because we know this is not over yet,” Lawlor said.
The majority of evacuees are from Fredericton and communities just downriver, but the Red Cross said it is seeing increased registrations from Saint John and surrounding areas.
Many evacuees are those who had to leave their homes during last year’s flood.
“We’re seeing quite an impact emotionally on those who are evacuating, particularly those who are doing this again two years in a row. It’s an extraordinarily stressful time for those households.”
Still, Lawlor said the Red Cross has been surprised by how many evacuees have made their own accommodation arrangements. He said about 60 per cent of those registered had their own plan, while 40 per cent were placed in emergency accommodation like hotels and motels. So far the Red Cross hasn’t had any overnight guests in its shelters in Fredericton and Saint John.
Prepare for a week or more
Lawlor recommends that those who are leaving their homes prepare for an absence longer than 72 hours.
“Think for the long haul,” he said.
While it’s impossible to know in advance, he said it could potentially be weeks before some people are given the all clear by public authorities to re-enter their homes, depending on damage to property and access roads.
Lawlor said people should to bring things like prescription medications, important documents and anything else they may need if they are out of their homes for a week or more.
He also said securing windows and doors and any loose objects outside of the home is a good idea, as well as elevating anything in basements above last year’s watermark, if possible.
This story originally appeared on CBC