Man arrested in Markham, Ont., abduction case, student still missing

by - 2 min read

Man arrested in Markham, Ont., abduction case, student still missing

by - 2 min read

by

A 35-year-old man from Toronto has been arrested in the abduction of Wanzhen Lu, but Lu still has not been found, York Regional Police say.

In a release, police said that the unnamed man was arrested early Tuesday morning. At this point, he has not been charged. 

According to police, Lu was forced into a van by three masked men in the parking garage of his Markham, Ont., condo building at about 6 p.m. ET Saturday. A fourth suspect drove the vehicle. 

It’s not yet clear if the man who was arrested is one of the four suspects seen in the surveillance footage of the abduction. 

“It’s only a matter of time, essentially, for us that we start to get closer to who these people are,” said York Regional Police spokesperson Laura Nicolle in an interview with CBC Toronto.  

She said investigators from a variety of York units, including homicide and missing persons, canine and organized crime units, are working hard on the case.

Van located in Toronto

In the course of the abduction, which York police Const. Andy Pattenden had previously described as a “very violent attack,” Lu was shocked a number of times with a Taser carried by one of the men before being dragged into the van.  

Investigators have since located that van, but would say only that it was found somewhere in Toronto and is now being combed for clues. 

Police are again asking the remaining suspects to give themselves up to police.

“We’re strongly urging the additional suspects to release him unharmed and to seek some legal counsel and turn themselves in,” said Nicolle.  

This story originally appeared on CBC

Top