2 men shot dead inside Winnipeg’s Johnny G’s restaurant

by - 2 min read

2 men shot dead inside Winnipeg’s Johnny G’s restaurant

by admin - 2 min read

by admin

Two men are dead after being gunned down inside a popular late-night restaurant and pub in downtown Winnipeg.

Police were called to Johnny G’s — on Main Street between York Avenue and Broadway — around 1:30 a.m. CT Wednesday and found the men suffering from gunshot wounds.

They were rushed to hospital in serious condition but died a short time later. Police gave limited details about the shooting.

“I’ve been advised that there may be people that investigators want to speak to, but I can tell you that there’s no additional threat to the public. And you can take from that what you will,” said Winnipeg police spokesperson Const. Rob Carver.

Investigators from the police service’s identification unit are inside the business, which is surrounded by yellow caution tape.

Police say two men were rushed to hospital in serious condition with gunshot wounds and died as a result of their injuries. (Lyzaville Sale/CBC)

Carver said he did not know how many customers were inside the restaurant at the time of the shooting but that “there absolutely were other people.”

“I don’t think it was packed — I don’t think you’ll find most restaurants on a very snowy Wednesday morning packed at 1:30 a.m., but there were people,” he said.

The double homicide comes almost exactly six years after another shooting death at Johnny G’s, which is open until 4 a.m. every day of the week and is a go-to stop for the after-hours bar crowd.

William Moar, a 24-year-old member of a known city street gang, was shot just before 2 a.m. on Feb. 15, 2013.

According to court testimony in that case, ​three people followed Moar to Johnny G’s from another downtown bar. One of them, Dylan Chatkana, covered his face with a bandana, armed himself with a sawed-off rifle, and walked into the restaurant after Moar, court was told.

He opened fire as Moar walked out of the restroom.

Chatkana, a teen at the time, was found guilty and sentenced as an adult to life in prison.