10-hour hostage-taking at Surrey, B.C., home leaves man and woman dead

by - 2 min read

10-hour hostage-taking at Surrey, B.C., home leaves man and woman dead

by - 2 min read


A hostage-taking that began late Thursday and ended Friday morning at a home in a residential neighbourhood in Surrey, B.C., has left two people dead.

A man and woman died after being taken to hospital, the Independent Investigations Office of B.C. (IIOBC), the province’s police watchdog, confirmed Friday morning.

An earlier statement from Surrey RCMP said officers were called to a home in the 13300 block of 98A Avenue around 9:30 p.m. PT on Thursday. 

Officers entered the home at 7:30 a.m., RCMP said, and found a “barricaded male and a female hostage.”

Ron MacDonald, IIOBC’s chief civilian director, said it’s believed the man and woman were known to each other.

MacDonald confirmed shots were fired, but it’s unclear how the man and the woman died.

“We know police took shots, but we don’t know if they’re the ones that caused injuries to the male. We’re still trying to determine that. It’s obviously still very early in the investigation.”

The BC Ambulance Service confirmed one person was taken to hospital just before 7:45 a.m., but did not specify the extent of the injuries.

MacDonald confirmed both died in hospital.

On Friday, an RCMP statement said “the scene and situation” were contained and there was no further risk to the public. 

Drivers and the public are being asked to avoid the area as police investigate.

Cheryl Lewis said she heard police shouting around midnight as an incident unfolded at her neighbour’s home on Thursday night. (Yvette Brend/CBC)

Cheryl Lewis, who lives in a nearby home with her 25-year-old daughter, said she was in her basement when she heard police and what she believed to be gunshots just after midnight.

“Police came and asked me if any bullets hit my house this morning,” she said, adding that none did.

“It’s pretty scary. Pretty close to home.”

This story originally appeared on CBC